#103 印象に残る英文(その1)

授業で多くの英文に接していますと、印象深い英文に出会うことがあります。出典が記載されている場合には、ネットなどですぐに検索できるのですが、大半の英文は出典が不明です。ところがGoogleなどの検索ソフトの発達のおかげで、最近ではキーワードや文を入力すると出典が分かる場合も出てきました。今日ご紹介する英文は今までに印象に残った英文のひとつです。

----------------------------------
A Water Bearer and a Cracked Pot

By Sacinandana Swami
A water bearer in India had two large pots, each hung on one end of the pole he carried across the back of his neck. One of the pots had a crack in it, and while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water at the end of the long walk from the stream, the cracked pot arrived only half full. This went on every day for two years, with the bearer delivering only one and a half pots of water to his master’s house.
Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishment and saw itself as perfectly suited for the purpose for which it was made. But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its imperfection and miserable that it was able to accomplish only half of what it had been made to do. After two years of what it perceived as bitter failure, it spoke to the water bearer one day by the stream. “I am ashamed of myself and I want to apologize to you.”
“Why?” asked the bearer. “What are you ashamed of?”
“For the past two years, I have been able to deliver only half my load because this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way back to your master’s house. Because of my flaws you have to work without getting the full value of your efforts,” the pot said.
The water bearer felt sorry for the old cracked pot, and out of compassion he said, “As we return to the master’s house, I want you to notice the beautiful flowers along the path.” Indeed, as they went up the hill, the old cracked pot took notice of the sun warming the wildflowers on the side of the path. The pot felt cheered.
But at the end of the trail, the pot still felt bad because it had leaked out half its load, and again it apologized for its failure. The bearer said to the pot, “Did you notice that there were flowers only on your side of your path, but not on the other pot’s side? That’s because I knew about your flaw and took advantage of it. I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back from the stream, you’ve watered them for me. For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate my master’s table. If you were not just the way you are, he would not have such beauty to grace his house.

All content copyright (c) by SacinandanaSwami.com

(訳)
インドの水運搬人は、川から彼の主人の家へ水を運ぶことによって、彼の主人に仕えました。彼は、肩にかけてつり合いを保った棒の両端に引っ掛けた2つの壺に水を入れて運びました。壺の1つは、ひびが入っていました;もう一方の壺は、無傷でした。無傷の壺は、いつも川から水を満杯にして届けましたが、他方、ひびの入った壺は、いつも、主人の家に着くころには、半分しか入っていませんでした。まる2年間このことが続きました、毎日、水運搬人は、満杯の壺と半分水の入った壺を主人の家に届けました。当然、満杯の壺は、その仕事ぶりを誇りに思いました、それが作られた目的に申し分なかったからです。しかし、ひびの入った壺は、不幸でした、そして、自分の不完全さを恥じていました。
ある日、ひびの入った壺は、水運搬人に話しかけました。「私は、私自身がとても恥ずかしいです。」と、それは言いました。「私は、あなたに謝罪したいです。」「しかし、どうしてだい?」と、水運搬人は尋ねました。「過去2年間」と、その壺は言いました。「私の側面に入ったひびは、水を漏らしてしまいます、そして、私は、自分の負うべき負担の半分しか届けることが出来ませんでした。あなたは、毎日、川から私たちのご主人の家へ私を運ぶ仕事をしますが、私の欠陥のために、あなたは、あなたの努力に十分見合ったものを得られません。」と、その壺は、ため息まじりに言いました。やさしく、水運搬人は、言いました、「今日、私たちが、ご主人様の家に帰る時、途中の可愛らしい花に注意してごらん。」
3人[*]が、丘を登って帰る時、その古いひびの入った壺は、魅力的な野生の花に気付きました ― 太陽が、花の輝く顔を照らし、そよ風が、その頭を傾けていました。しかし、それでも、その欠陥のある壺は、すまないと感じました、なぜならば、また水を半分漏らしてしまったからでした、それで、その壺は、失敗を水運搬人に謝りました。
しかし、水運搬人は、言いました、「あぜ道のお前の側にだけ花が咲いていることに気がつかなかったかい?私は、お前に欠陥があることを知っていたから、あぜ道のお前の側に花の種をまいたんだよ、そして、毎日、お前は種に水やりをしてくれたんだ。だから、毎日、私はこれらの美しい花を摘んで、私たちのご主人さまのテーブルを飾ることが出来るんだ。もしも、お前がそのようでなかったら、ご主人様は、家を優美にするこの美しさを得られなかっただろうね。」
---------------------------------

自分の短所や欠点が長所になりうる話です。短所や欠点は見る角度を変えると長所にもなります。意義深い内容の英文です。

2017年04月23日